Saturday, March 22, 2014

Day 5 The Gazebo, Roads South, Pizza & Sunsets



 We woke up early as usual but did not rush around today, we had booked another whale watch but not for today; we had thought we could use a "day off".
When I asked B. if he wanted me to make him some toast to go with the rest of his papaya he said "I feel like pancakes", of course he was talking about the  pancakes we kept hearing about at The Gazebo.
Before heading to Napili we stopped at Snorkel Bob's to pick up  floatation belts, we were hoping to snorkel at Napili or Kapalua that day. We were told by the girl working that it might be best to head south today for snorkeling. We headed to for breakfast and decided to figure it out as we go today.


Now this is what I call a great view for my morning tea! AND they had my favorite tea, nice!





We met a great couple in line and had fun visiting with them and their two small twin girls.
They were seated just before us and when we sat down he said "sure, take the best seat in the house why don't ya?" ...we looked around and what do you know? ...it was the best seat in the house. :)


The views were amazing and it was worth the wait in line, if you have not eaten here you should know you may wait in line a long time, we probably waited about 45 minutes. What we did not know at the time is that we could have had coffee in line, I guess you can go up and help yourself.

The views from our table were simply amazing! 
We could see why snorkeling was not a good idea up here but I could look at the waves all day and the clouds over Molokai looked liked smoke and we thought it was beautiful.





 I ordered eggs and bacon with rice and B. had chocolate chip macadamia pancakes.
He really liked the pancakes and had them with maple syrup, I tried a few bites with the coconut syrup an it was fantastic! So then I tried a little of the coconut syrup with my rice and it was amazing so I added the syrup to the rest of my rice and savored every bite. :)
(did you notice my food looks like a smiley face? the waitress pointed that out to us) 


B. loved it here, he walked around out on the rocks a long time always calling me to something else cool he was looking at. I really enjoyed our slow moving morning.



















We got this great little carved Honu from this nice kid carving at The Gazebo and had it personalized, it is really the only souvenir we bought ourselves and we really love it. 


 


We headed South toward Kehei with really no plan at all except find Mangoes and find a beach to snorkel. On our first day here I asked about mangoes at the Honokowai  Farmer's Market and they told me they were out of season...(my heart sank, I LOVE Maui mangoes!) He told me there was a farmer at a stand in Kehei that grows them year round and I might find them there, he was right, we found them and they were fabulous, we bought enough to have one everyday for the rest of our trip.


The views of Haleakala were so cool as we came around that side of the island, these were taken through the windshield but I still love them, It was the best I could do at the time.


We stopped at the park in Kehei and had fun watching these crabs all over the rocks for quite a while.






We really had no idea where to go. We could see the beach here was not good for snorkeling so we just kept heading South but did not know where the beach roads were and the only place we ended up stopping was the State Park and a guy told us there that the water was murky and rough so we just headed back North. Before the turn back onto 30 we stopped at a beach, it's right by a long constructed beach walk, don't know the name of the beach. We headed out and tried snorkeling for a while, we saw a few fish but it really wasn't good, we ate our packed lunch here and we didn't stay long after that. We were at least glad we had gotten in the water.
 Hoping to find our beach at Olowalu, we headed back toward "home" to see if it has calmed down since the morning. Well, let's just say we didn't find it, we could have maybe stopped anywhere but we were determined and tried about 3 times driving by to find it and just couldn't figure it out.
By now we were frustrated and headed back figuring we would catch the sunset and then have some dinner.


When we got back we decided to get the big camera and try using it tonight, I don't really have experience with it yet so I missed a lot of good shots, the whales were crazy, everywhere you looked! I tried but did not get any great pictures but you will get the point, it was an awesome night to just sit and take in the whales and sunset.


On our way to the beach we ordered a pizza from Maui Pizza at our resort, The whales were going so crazy I couldn't even eat, I wish I'd at least have gotten a few more good pictures but I remember them well and memories are more than pictures anyway.
 

By the time I finally took a piece of pizza it was cold but it was still fabulous, I would recommend trying it for sure, we had half Kalua Pig with onions and half Hawaiian BBQ Chicken without onions. The Hawaiian was the best of the two but both were delicious and eating it on the beach was great.


This picture is crazy! I wonder what it was like to be on this boat and see this whale? From here it looks like it was pretty much right on them!






It was more beautiful by the minute this evening, I kept switching cameras trying to get the whales so the lighting is different in all my pictures, looking at these I feel like this could have just been a day ago, I will dream of these evenings until we are back again.













This picture was a huge surprise as I took it with my phone and didn't know I had got the whale in the shot until later. I'll never forget how many whales we saw, it was a really fun night and we were out there until it was too dark to see anymore.
We stayed downstairs and headed to the hot tub before heading up to put the pizza away and head to bed. I was excited about the leftover pizza and new we would have it for another meal later.
 
We didn't get to snorkel like we hoped that day, we had got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and we had got confused and frustrated along the way........ but looking back now none of this matters, the evening was so beautiful, our hearts were happy and our bellies were full,  and the good is all that stands out now when we look back on this day, it was a learning experience... :)

(this "happy tired" picture pretty much sums up the way we felt at the end of the night)

No comments:

Post a Comment