Monday, March 24, 2014

Day 7 Ulupalakua Ranch, Pa'ia, Beachtime, More Pizza & Sunset

B. really knows how to start off a great day on Maui! If only he would smile just a little more, right?

Today we were open to make plans; I really wanted to go to Ulupalakua Ranch for lunch, they have been posting really delicious looking burgers from their new menu on facebook for a few months and I was very anxious to try them out. 
I also just really liked the atmosphere at their store when I was there two years ago and was hoping B. would like it there too.

We drove up up through Kula and it was so pretty, a little rainy up top (which we saw we were at 3,000 ft) and sunny down below, it was cool to see the clouds below us hanging over the sun.


We went in and looked around a bit and then placed our orders. I ordered the elk burger from their very own elk herd, it is the only elk herd in the state.
B. ordered a beef burger which was also Maui beef.
After ordering they have you wait at the picnic tables outside where the chef is grilling and he will call you up when your food is ready. 

We got called up and when I was putting the fixings on my burger I asked the chef if he is the chef I have been following on facebook. He was so excited that someone was following them and that we came there just to try his food. 
His name is Chef Will and he was so gracious; he showed us his garden that I had seen pictures of a few weeks ago when he was planting and told us all the future ideas for fresh produce he had. 


B.'s beef burger was really good!


This is my elk burger! LOVED the way it was cooked medium rare... YUM! I was thinking it was so big though that B. was going to have to eat 1/2 of it.

As we were eating Chef Will came over to chat again and wondered how our food was.
He said he really wanted us to try the lamb burger (made from Maui raised lamb). I told him I had seen them on facebook but was a little leery about eating lamb and that is why I went with the elk.
He asked if he could cook us a lamb burger and said he would put it in a box in case we couldn't finish it; he really wanted us to try it so we agreed... happily, wow, we were having a great time here!


This is my 1/2 of the lamb burger, I ate this and saved 1/2 my elk burger for later. The lamb was FABULOUS! I had never eaten lamb and the rich flavor was a real surprise! We recommend a stop here for lunch! 

Next Chef Will asked if we would mind having our picture taken and said they would love to share it on facebook. What a treat, the hospitality here could not be any better. 
We were greeted next by Diana, the store manager who chatted with us for a long while about all things Maui, she was a real treat as well to  meet.


This is Chef Will, think about going to visit him when you are in upcountry.

This is Dianna, the store manager who made us feel so welcome and even helped with ideas and directions for our trip.

This is Melanie, a store employee who helped take pictures, we talked for a long time as well and she told me her husband is a rancher at Ulupalakua Ranch and that there is a feature article about him in Hana Hou this month. The article is called Canine Cowboys. (didn't know if I was allowed to post a link so I thought I better not)
 The gentlemen in the dark purple is Melanie's husband, when I looked the article up on line the photos from the magazine were not included. 


So we eventually had to leave here and head back down the mountain, we headed toward Paia via Makawao per Dianna's recommendation so we could see some different scenery on the way back, it was a beautiful drive.

 It was pretty cool to see Molokini from way up here, we stood here a long time, felt like you could see forever. 

 I could use a reminder of the name of this island, thanks!



 It was blue as far as you could see in front of us with these amazing clouds forming around and behind us, It was like seeing more than one universe at once...















As we drove on down the landscape was so pretty, natural, old world, country and Maui all wrapped up in one. I tried to capture the feeling with a few quick shots.


























These old stone walls are amazing, if you have not driven this road up through Kula to Ulupalakua, you may want to consider it. I bet in May when the Jacaranda trees are blooming this would be a really good drive to take!


We stopped here in Paia at the beach where the Youth Center is; not sure the name of the beach. It was beautiful but we just walked around and never settled in here.



We headed back "home" and got set up on our beach. We wanted some water time before dinner and sunset.
After we played in the water a while we were getting pretty hungry and we went with the Pizza from the resort again and ate it on the beach while watching another amazing sunset. :)











 ...it's amazing how it is just melting away into the sea.













Ended our evening in the hot tub as usual before heading to bed all tuckered out again and ready to rest up for another day.
...tomorrow we have family coming and we are anxious to see them!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Teresa - thanks for including us in your blog. Chef Will and I so enjoyed meeting you guys. You're now part of our Ulupalakua Ohana. FYI - the island that you took pictures off out from Ulupalakua is Kaho'olawe (the little island is Molokini). A Hui Ho! Hope you're staying warm back home in Wisconsin. Aloha, Diana & Will

    ReplyDelete