Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 2 - Snorkeling at Olowalu & Ono Tacos



Sitting back here in freezing cold Sparta, Wisconsin it is slightly difficult to recall every moment I want to share; however, I find that going through our pictures day by day and trying to recall the days separately is good medicine for us.
We are not adjusting real well to being home; but at least we know we will go back and that is something wonderful we have to look forward to. 
I think the reason it is so darn hard is that it was really our first real vacation and we loved who we became together there and we don't want to let that go. :)
This is the view from our room at Kaanapali Beach Club; I was first a little worried that it was right above the pool because you could hear so many people when we first arrived. 
It turned out that we were rarely ever in our room during the day and that was not an issue and the added bonus was that we were right above the restaurant where there was a singer most every night and we loved opening the doors and listening to them sing, it was beautiful!


These two pictures show our ocean view and our mountain view; both were beautiful and we saw lots and lots of whales from here!
Sitting here on the lanai on our second full day Bruce once again woke up before I finished my first cup of tea and headed downstairs to marvel at the ocean and its amazing views.



He came upstairs to get me again, he didn't like keeping the whales to himself, there were so many out there again and he was excited once again to bring me out there to watch them by his side. 
I REALLY LOVE Maui B.!
I think I told you all previously that I would write my blog during the mornings while he was sleeping but there was no sleeping-in the whole trip; I loved our morning together!

After spending a short time over coffee and tea we decided to head out to the Farmers Market, it was Wednesday and I wanted to go when the outdoor vendors were there.
I was excited to get some amazing pineapple, a delicious papaya(which it turned out was a favorite for B., some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and some amazing Macadamia Blossom Honey from Makawao. The honey is for my morning tea, I brought just enough from home to cover me until I could get some from Maui. :) 
We also went inside the Farmers Market and I bought a salad from the salad bar where you can make one up of whatever goodies you want.

We walked around a bit at Honokowai Beach Park after and then headed to Times Market to get some more goodies for a beach day.
We picked up three pre-made deli sandwiches, 2 for B. and one for me and we got some packets of mayo and mustard from the deli rather than buying bottles we would not use up. I got a lemon to squeeze over my salad and then we went and found a pack of two little paring knives for just a couple dollars to use for our papaya and for my lemon.








We decided from a recommendation at Snorkel Bob's to go to Olowalu and check out the beach and the snorkeling. I wish I would have figured the exact beach to tell you; I believe we were right around mile 14. It was beautiful there, we spent at least 4 hours or more, we lost complete track of time.... wonderful! We stayed and played until we were exhausted.
I had told you all before that on my last trip to Maui I freaked out about the snorkeling tube and hated the flippers, well I had not really gave them a chance so I decided to use all the advice I have received here on TA and go for it this time. We were both having a tough time with the breathing at first, we had our hearts set on snorkeling and just kept trying. We just kept at it and finally I was able to remember some of what I learned from Trilogy two years ago and I started to relax and breath normally. FINALLY! I was snorkeling and I was not freaked out, it happened! I was so excited to tell B. all the tricks I tried and he soon had it down too, we did not see a ton of fish that day but we saw fish and loved floating over all the beautiful coral, it was a great time! Oh... I also learned to love the flippers, it really makes floating around much easier.
When we were not snorkeling I also spent time looking for sea glass and found a lot of it at this location, after a while B. was helping me look and he was spotting quite a bit also; we put it all in a dish on our dining table as a center piece. :)




After watching the beginnings of what promised to be a beautiful sunset we gave in to hunger and headed for Ono Tacos, thanks to those of you on TA who helped us find it; we just kept driving right by when we were looking for it the day before. 



We both got the plate with 2 tacos, beans and rice, it was 8.00 a plate, we thought it was a fabulous value! B. got the fish tacos and i got 1 steak and 1 chicken. We both really loved our dinner! I added red onions to mine and after eating half the meat off the tacos so I could pick them up, (yes, they were that loaded) I added beans and rice to them and it was GREAT! Bruce had "mild" sauce on his first taco and it was a little too hot... :) however, he did still enjoy it. He ate the second with no sauce and liked it much better. I highly recommend giving this little under stated taco joint in Honokowai a try, they are on the lower road right next to the ABC store.

Well we missed the sunset but we didn't really care, we just enjoyed our food and headed back to the resort. We got ready for the hot tub and sat down there quite a while before going to bed early; we have a Trilogy trip to Lanai planned for the next morning and don't want to be late.





No comments:

Post a Comment